Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lactose!!!!!

So I added back in dairy products, butter, cheese, eggs and half and half being the ones I use the most. I had no issues and all was well. My hands have been doing amazingly well the last few days and I thought no tomatoes, no white sugar, no white flour were the reason. Yesterday I made some sugar free, wheat free, gluten free brownies with no issues, but then drank a big glass of milk after both that I ate (afternoon and evening) and suddenly I was having a hand flair up as well as asthma symptoms. I started looking at the common dairy-mucus-asthma idea and only found very mixed reviews to the legitimacy. Reading further I found the two big issues with milk are lactose intolerance and milk allergy from the casein protein. So I started to dig deeper. For those with lactose intolerance I went on a hunt for what products triggered and what products did not. Butter, Cheese, Half and Half and Full Fat Greek Yogurt are all lower in lactose or in the case of the yogurt, have probiotics to help digest the lactose so those who have a LI are not as impacted by the lactose. So while some folks with a high intolerance can still see issues even with the low levels of lactose in these foods, most people with a LI can eat these without issue. BINGO! So it would appear one of my triggers is not dairy- but lactose! For cooking I can easily sub almond milk, and I already take extra calcium. I will have to dig into options for those times I do want a nice tall glass of whole milk. I know there are lactose free/reduced versions. I may also experiment with local dairy milk as opposed to grocery store milk and see if there is any difference in reaction dependent on how they are processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment